Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tried Skinny Bitch Recipe

"Chicken" Noodle Soup

What you need

1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
1 carrot, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice4 ounces
white or cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 bay leaf
8 cups vegan "chicken" stock (hot water mixed with vegan bouillon according to package directions)
2 teaspoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or 1 1/4 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce)
8 ounces vegan "chicken" strips or chunks (if frozen, no need to thaw)
4 ounces whole wheat or brown rice pasta

What you do

Heat the coconut oil in a four-to six-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender -- about two minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and curry powder and cook until the mushrooms release their juices -- about two minutes. Stir in the stock, Bragg's Liquid Aminos and bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the vegan chicken and pasta. When the soup returns to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook until the pasta is tender.

This was a pretty good alternative to actual chicken soup, and clearly more healthy. I didn't go with all the ingredients exactly because I didn't have everything. I didn't use the bay leaf, my vegan chunks were tofu, and instead of coconut oil I used olive oil. Oh yea and I don't even know what liquid braggs aminos or cremini mushrooms are! lol.

I used to make chicken noodle soup a lot during the cooler whether and I used rice instead of pasta. I might try rice with this recipe instead of the pasta next time.

No comments: